Toothpaste and mouthwash can get expensive, and some of them contain some unsavory ingredients. You can avoid those and make your own effective teeth-cleaning products at home. Here are some recipes you’ll want to try.
There are actually several recipes for toothpaste. Here are some suggestions:
1. Combine a tablespoon of baking soda with a few drops of neem oil, tea tree oil, and peppermint oil. Mix with enough glycerin or water to make a paste. This will last for several brushings, as you don’t need more than a dime-sized amount to brush your teeth.
2. Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a few drops of peppermint or cinnamon essential oil and use as a powder. To sweeten it, you can add some powdered xylitol, which is derived from birch trees. It is often used in natural toothpastes sold commercially.
3. Use straight baking soda to brush your teeth.
4. Mix three parts baking soda to one part sea salt. Use as-is, or mix with peppermint, neem, and/or tea tree oils and add water or glycerin to make a paste.
5. To a teaspoon of baking soda, add 1/4 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide and 1 drop of peppermint oil.
Neem oil is reputed to promote healthy gums and teeth and has been used for oral care in India for years. Tea tree oil has anti-microbial and anti-fungal properties.
Like toothpaste, there are several methods and types you can make.
1. Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda into a glass of water and add 1 drop each of tea tree oil and peppermint oil.
2. In a glass, mix equal parts of water and hydrogen peroxide. Peppermint or cinnamon oil is optional.
3. Make an infusion by bringing 2 cups of water to a boil and adding a teaspoon each of rosemary leaves, chopped, fresh peppermint or spearmint leaves, and anise seeds. Simmer for half an hour, cool, and use.
4. Boil 1 cup of water with 1/4 cup of vodka. Stir in 4 teaspoons of glycerin and 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel. When it’s cooled, stir in 10 drops of peppermint, cinnamon, or spearmint oil. Shake well and use.
You might want to purify these products even further by using distilled water in the recipes.
By making your own toothpaste and mouthwash, you’ll not only save money, but you’ll know exactly what is in these products that you put in your mouth!